Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Happy Mardi Gras!


I went to Mardi Gras once in my early 20s. It was a whirlwind trip that seemed to be over before it started. The Bed and Breakfast we stayed at was haunted. The food was outrageous. The coffee was strong. The drinks were stronger. You can't help but fall in love with the city. Although I will probably never go back for those festivities (really, that is fine with me!) - I would love to get away for a weekend and explore the city, visit some beautiful shops, and bring some treasures home.


New Orleans has a style as distinct as the city itself. Powdered with traditional southern details, the French influence is strong and decadent. Cast iron railings and lush outdoor courtyards are my idea of a perfect life. Antique French furniture? Check! Ornamental Iron? Absolutment!


2 comments:

Hannah Braden said...

Did you know that the architecture in the French Quarter is actually Spanish? Fires destroyed much of the French Quarter during Spanish rule, and the buildings, including all of the cast iron was rebuilt.

But..I agree completely! I've always planned to grow old in New Orleans.

Paulita said...

yeah I read that it had Spanish and Haitian influence in it too. I don't know much about the history of New Orleans.....but I am interested in reading *off to paperbackswap*

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails